The mendacious village of cynicism and regret that lives in Wee Beefy's mind.

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Stroke

Hello,

     I wanted to refer you to my profile to explain the below and after forthcoming musings asides and remembered happenstances. Alas, maybe because I already have a Blogger beer blog, my profile is the same for both. No doubt there is a perfectly logical and attainable resolution to this issue. Likewise I will also, no doubt, try and find it in the following weeks.

For a few years Tash has been telling me that I ought to write about stuff outside of the woollen nappy of my beer blog. This thought was also recently shared by comment contributor Professor Pie Tin. Am not aware if this chap writes himself, but I value his contributions. Since one was none beer writing, this, and the suggestions of my better half, I decided to branch out into this blog. Its not beer you see, not in theme at least. Or rather, not directly.

On Thursday 16 November 2017 at the tender age of just 43 I had a stroke. I was cooking "Vietnamese inspired beans" according to the cautious labeling, which comprised edamame, summat else and red and coconut rice. I had just added tender stem broccoli and green beans when the stroke happened - stepping away from the hob to sieve them, I found I no longer had full use of my left leg. Being a hungry chap i dismissed the episode as a minor inconvenience and took my tea (this means evening meal by the way) through to the other room and ate it. Fearing my not having taken my blood pressure meds for two nights had hastened an odd effect I decided to eat my tea and then get a glass of red wine. Feeling no better thereafter I simply went to bed, for eight hours of excruciating cramp. I am not, a medically trained professional

The next day, exhausted,, I rang work and asked if I could come in about 13.00 as was tired from a lack of sleep. They agreed and I returned to my bed bur couldn't get any kip. I decided to check the tinternet for the NHS number and as I was turning off the computer I started to list to the left. I almost fell off a flat chair. I sat there for a good fifteen minutes wondering if I could steady myself sufficiently to get to the next room and flop on the bed, and managed to after a struggle. I then somehow managed to clamber downstairs, to unlock the door and call 111. Within 40 minutes the paramedics had arrived and assessed me and were driving me to hospital. I have not eaten tender stem broccoli since.....

At tosspickuw I was asked numerous questions and when asked how many units I drank per wee,jokingly answered " too many to add up". In fairness I don't check per pint, half, bottle or can so couldn't anyway. Having admitted that I knew I drank too much I was prescribed "tablets that will stop you having a violent rage after seven days without alcohol". Never joke with medical staff, I learned. Or eat broccoli.

Twelve virtually sleepless nights on three wards followed. Sleepless mainly due to the number of screaming dementia patients, being woken at 05.00 for a blood pressure test and cold. The food was good though. Although the fish pie had broccoli in it.

One of the other downsides was the self soiling majority and elderly naked minority on some wards. I genuinely wondered if their identification of dementia was fabricated to stop unbewailing fully clothed patients from killing them. Either way I was glad to leave a week ago, if nothing else to get some kip. Have slept like a log since.

Am receiving care and physio at home and making good progress, although my extreme fatigue means have drunk virtually nothing for the last three weeks (without the anti rage tablets I should point out). The main thing is am making progress, and also that based on other patients, seem to have escaped lightly.

And now I don't have to eat broccoli.

Your very best health

Yannis

No comments:

Post a Comment