The mendacious village of cynicism and regret that lives in Wee Beefy's mind.

Saturday 16 December 2017

Names

Now then,

      have been inspired to write this short post partially as a nickname maker, and also based on having read people's experiences of mispronunciation and mis-spelling of their names this year. Ironically, am not willing to tell you my real name, but there are many people I know who have had their monikers mangled. Mark Conlan and Roxy Cram certainly had a hard time of people misunderstanding what they were called, as am sure Mr Colon and Roy Crumb would agree.....

Years ago I worked for a firm in Rotherham and one of the managers lived up the road from me. He told me the following story about his neighbour. I may have misremembered the names in this tale by the way. Which is at best ironic....

Every year he and his wife used to send a card to their neighbour, John, across the road. They noticed he didn't seem to leave the house much or have many visitors and I think they felt sorry for John. However, despite sending him a heartfelt cardboard missive every year for something like fifteen years they never once got one back. This was put down to him being shy or reclusive, and was never an issue.

Years passed by and cards were sent and one year, a card from someone new appeared on the mat. Sensing it may have been from John himself, it was opened with expectant glee. It read:

"Dear Bob and Linda,

  thank you very much for your card.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

All the best

Frank.

AKA John....."

I am happy to admit that the above really tickled me. As Bob would have said "well al gu t't foot ur ar stairs". A great phrase that I learned during my employ in Rotherham....

Yannis

No comments:

Post a Comment